Thursday, May 31, 2007

Verse of the Day

20 No unbelief or distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong and was empowered by faith as he gave praise and glory to God, 21 Fully satisfied and assured that God was able and mighty to keep His word and to do what He had promised.
Romans 4:20-21

Paul once again makes his mark in the Bible as the author of the book of Romans. The more I learn about Paul the more I want to know. What passion he had for Jesus, and what conviction. Considering that he once persecuted Christians I still get amazed at the zeal with which he preached the gospel of Jesus Christ.

These verses refer to Abraham and Sarah. Recall that Abraham was given a promise from the Lord when he was 100 years old that he would father many nations, and that his descendents would out number the stars. Sarah's womb was barren and dead. Even though logic dictated that a child would be impossible, Abraham's faith in the Lord did not waiver. Not only did he not waiver, but his strength and faith grew. Talk about having the faith of a child. I just have to struggle with the concept of this, much less how I would react if this promise were made to me today and I was that age.

Faith is something that I struggle with. I think many of us do. It's hard to completely rely on the Lord when we want to control things ourselves. However, I feel really good about my future. While driving to work today I was excited about the prospect of what the future holds because I hold to the faith that God is good, and that he has great plans for me. I have not felt such excitement in a long time, and I am really looking foward to the changes that my future will bring. The world is a bright place when we realize that God really is in control, and accept that no matter what happens He is using all things to ultimately strengthen our relationship with Him. Practice faith daily. Just give things over to God, and let them go. And hold him to his promises. He is faithful and just, but He expects faith from us.

No comments: