Thursday, May 17, 2007

Verse of the Day

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come. 2Corinthians 5:17

Many people say they are Christians. I remember living a crazy lifestyle in my early 20s, yet I still claimed to be a Christian. However, notice that this verse say "the old has gone, the new has come". Some people struggle with the concept of being born again, which is also mentioned in the new testament. What does it mean to be born again, to be "in Christ"?

Quite simply put, it is life transforming. Does this mean that over night you become the "perfect Christian"? Not at all. As a matter of fact, when I made the decision to rededicate my life to the Lord, the changes were not all at once. I had years of bad habits that I needed to break, and I still work on some of them. However, being born again brings a desire to understand the will of Christ, and to desire to be like Christ. It involves the desire to grow in your relationship with the Lord, which includes time spent reading the word and praying. You also desire to share your relationship with the Lord with others in the hope that they will come to know Christ's awesome love for us.

Just remember, saying that you are a Christian does not necessarily make it so if your heart, mind, body and soul are not trying to live a Christ like life. You will never achieve perfection, but you will be convicted when your actions/attitudes are not in alignment with the Lord's will.

No comments: