Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Verse of the Day

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phillipians 4:8

Yesterday I touched on the concept of surrendering our thoughts to Christ. Today, I want to focus a little more on our "thought life". Our thoughts truly control us if we allow them to. I think the more strong willed a person is, the more intelligent a person is, the more that person may struggle to surrender their thoughts.

When I truly began to change, and I realized that I needed (notice that I do not say wanted) to change, the hardest concept for me to grasp was that my "brain" could be an enemy on occasion. God made me. He gave me my intelligence. Why would it get in the way? However, the more I read the Bible, the more I realize that part of me can easily be swayed by satan. The way he attacks is not physically, but spiritually, and Paul obviously realized that part of our vulnerability as believers was our "thoughts". He realized that is an area that we really need to guard and really need to protect ourselves.

This verse goes beyond just surrendering our thoughts, and really gives us guidance on what types of things to think about. Now, it's not always easy to control your thoughts, believe me, I know. However, when faced with not so good thoughts (happens multiple times daily for me)lol, I really try to make a concerted effort (sometimes visualizing things) of having my thoughts directed to a different path. Things that I know would be praiseworthy, or that come from God. This can be thinking about my blessings, thinking about the future (and what God has in store for me), thinking about my family or good friends. Regardless, I try to make sure that they are positive thoughts. I don't always succeed at this, and sometimes I forget and my thoughts "take me over for a while", but the Spirit always gently guides me back to where I need to be because ultimately I pray daily that my life is led by what God wants me to do. So, as you struggle with your thoughts, be cognizant of the desires of the Spirit, let that guide your thoughts, and you will have thoughts that are excellent and praiseworthy.

No comments: