Friday, June 15, 2007

Verse of the Day

But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming. Romans 10:8

I read the Bible daily. I have to. For me, it is as important as eating food every day. It's my spiritual food. My lifeline to God.

I have always been an avid reader, although there may be months where I don't read due to lack of time or interest lack of interest for a while. I have the gift of being able to read very fast and comprehend what I read. I can read a book in a matter of hours (a good fiction book, that is)lol.

I like to evaluate myself on a regular basis. What can I do to improve myself as a person? It's a good thing to do, and it helps me to be real and honest with myself and keep myself in check, although it's not always an easy thing to do. I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday, and I was talking about reading the Bible, and I said "I read the Bible daily because it's the guidelines I should follow for living my life". Now, that sounds obvious. However, it really sank in when I said it yesterday.

Look at these verses. The word is IN you. It's in your mouth and your heart. Proverbs 4 refers to the heart as the wellspring of life. If you read the word as a book, you can gain knowledge. However, if it is a map for life, a tool that is necessary to insure your salvation, you will have the word in your heart and mouth. You will start to behave the way God would have you behave, versus what feels right according to the world. The word will inspire faith and will inspire integrity in you that extends beyond what you would ever be able to achieve on your own. Why is that? Well, the Spirit in you thrives off of the word, and absorbs it as a dry sponge absorbs water. According to Isaiah 55 the word does not return void. I am so grateful that I have my God, and that I have His word to sustain me.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Charleston is great; I'm sure you miss it.

God is good, sister! Keep up the good work!