Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Verse of the Day

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:24

If any of you have ever participated in sports, you know that it takes training, focus, stamina and endurance just to be competitive. However, it also takes tenacity and perseverance to win and get the prize.

What exactly is Paul saying in this verse? The following verses clarify a little more. He emphasizes that the training that a runner (at the time a Greek Olympian, perhaps) is for the purpose of receiving a wreath, but that our prize is a crown that will last forever.

For a moment, let's think about that. How can someone get a crown from a king if they cannot physically just take it from him? In order to really get that crown you have to be a child of that king. Now, what are we? We are God's children, and heirs to the throne. However, we have to train to get that prize. We cannot do whatever we want, when we want. We have to stay focused in our training-meaning stay in the word, stay in prayer, and really try to listen to the Holy Spirit so that your life is led by God's will for you instead of your own will. Like any race, in order to actually win you have to devote time to training and preparing.

Today, begin the training that will give you the crown that so God desires to give you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heyya :)

Thanks for dropping me a comment!

Yeah, you too. Keep the faith in Christ. And shine for God!

* it is rare nowadays to find ppl who are different from the world

Sandy said...

So true! Your blog is great!

Nycnontheist said...

Sandy, hi! My name is Valerie and I'm the founder of "The Atheist Diaries" Blog. I was actually shocked that you had never formally met any atheists. Although I'm sure you have met quite a few, plus some agnostic to boot, but you just didn't know it. Often times, or so I've been told, in very religious areas, people who are nonbelievers or nontheists don't mention it to others.

I, on the other hand, have never met an evangelical, or born-again, person in my life. I've actually never really been around even mildly religious people in my life. If you go and look at my profile you'll see that I was raised w/o any religion whatsoever. Born with a clean slate you could say. And I do consider myself very lucky. But I'm sure you don't want to hear that.

Anyway, I'm glad you did stop by our blog today, and come back for Allyson's answer to your question.

Thanks,

-Valerie