Thursday, July 19, 2007

Verse of the Day

39 "And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22:39-40

I guess you could say this is part 2 from yesterday's verse, which was love the Lord with all your heart, soul and mind being the greatest commandment. Notice that in today's verses Jesus makes a point of saying that "all the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments".

Love your neighbor as yourself. What does that really mean? Who is really your neighbor? A neighbor can be defined as someone who lives next door or close. Neighbor is also defined as a fellow human being. Since Jesus showed love to everyone he came in contact with, he was obviously not referring to the guy next door in this verse. Now, when it says to love your neighbor as yourself, what does that mean? Truly, most of us are really not sadists (unless it comes to pushing ourselves at the gym)lol. However, I know that I much prefer to have someone in my life that treats me well. That respects me, that has integrity and honesty, and that really tries to do the right thing where I am concerned. If that is how I want to be treated, how can I treat others differently?

Now, Jesus was saying that every law in the past, all that the past prophets had taught, was to be defined by these two. The synonymous theme-love. First and foremost God, secondly love everyone the way you want to be loved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspiring words.I read them whenever I come online. Thanks for the efforts :)

Sandy said...

Thanks!