Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Verse of the Day

You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. Galatians 5:13

As we celebrate the 4th of July, and the Independence and freedom that our great country allows, let us reflect on who to give thanks to. God has blessed America more than we deserve, especially today. The choices and lifestyles that people choose to live are so contrary to what He would have us do with our lives. However, we do have a wonderful country. I do thank all the men and women that have served to continue to insure the freedom that I continue to enjoy by being a citizen of the United States of America. One Nation, under God.

Now, what was Paul referring to is the freedom we have in Christ. The death of Jesus did set us free. The Bible says "whom the son sets free is free indeed". However, the freedom that we gain through truly surrendering our life is such a paradox. We truly desire to please God, and there is such freedom in loving the Lord so much that you know nothing else matters when compared to the love of Christ. With this freedom, we should truly desire to serve and love one another. I know that my life has changed for the better, and I am truly free, yet I love people and really try to see their needs. I could not imagine what I would do without the love of the Lord in my life. How empty my life would be. How trapped I would feel by the world. However, I am not trapped. I am free.

8 comments:

Berlzebub said...

FYI, I left a response to your comment on Ryan's blog.

Oh, and "under god" wasn't included in the Pledge of Allegiance until the sixties. So, for nearly two hundred years, the First Amendment was dutifully followed.

Anonymous said...

to berlzebub
Clever, however, this country is formed by Christians (like it or not) and the Pledge is "under God". Dutifully

"We are destroyed by a lack of knowledge"

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Sandy said...

Sorry of the delayed response, berlzbub. The First Amendment is still being dutifully followed, btw. The separation was not about keeping God out of the decisions made regarding our country, but about keeping the tyranny from their new country. Recall that time in history (if you believe the books, that is), and note that the religious rulers at that time in Europe were tyrants. So, at that time religion and tyranny were considered synonymous, not God and tyranny.

I am also going to visit your blog, and I have repsonded to your response to my blog post on Ryan's blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Independence day!(sorry for delay!!)

Sandy said...

Thanks Joel!

Sandy said...

Rodrigo, is the language portuguese?

Berlzebub said...

Sandy, my response to you is here.

Anonymous:
No, this country is inhabited by a majority of Christians, and it doesn't matter to me. What does matter to me is,

Bill of Rights
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.


And yes, the pledge is "under God", but now we don't force anyone to say it. As it should be.